Monday, October 10, 2011

Sunday sailing


As members of the Antigua Yacht Club, we're free to use any of the clubs boats, windsurfs and other water sport activities, among many other benefits they have for their members. So we've been checking out the collection of boats that they have for a while now and yesterday was my first time ever to set sail on a boat smaller than 35 feet. We took one Laser Pico together, thought that could be alright for me to begin with. We tacked and gybed back and forth, around and around in the bay of Falmouth Harbor, got all wet and salty. It was so much fun, I can't even tell you! It gave me a total new feeling of the technicality of a boat, its weight and movement. The wind felt more powerful in any increase or change and even the few capsizes' we made felt exciting and important to go through. Alex was also happy like a child, love seeing him in the element he loves the most. We agreed on that this must definitely be something we will spend more time doing.

And where was I when these photos were taken you ask? So after been sailing for an hour or two, I told Alex to drop me as close to our boat as possible, I jumped into the water with my harness and all, swam to the boat, run in to dry my salty hands, grabbed the camera as the photo nerd that I am, snapped some pics of Alex zooming by and back in the water I went to join the ride once again. What a perfect Sunday adventure. Next time we'll try the faster Laser's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment